Do you have storm damage? Read our Frequently Asked Questions.
100% Certified by the International Code Council
The purpose and function of the Building and Zoning Department is to ensure public safety, health and welfare during building construction and renovation; to secure the safety of life and property from hazards incidental to the design, erection, repair and occupancy of buildings through proper inspection practices; and to preserve the appearance and property value of existing housing through efficient code enforcement; while providing the highest level of customer service attainable.
- We believe the residents of Oswego and builders alike are entitled to professional, efficient and accurate guidance from trained professionals in the areas of construction and maintenance of any and all property within the Village.
- We are committed to provide the highest level of professional, ethical and customer-oriented services to our residents and fellow professionals in a courteous and timely manner.
- We willingly participate in a program of continuing education and testing in order to keep our staff informed of the latest techniques and requirements within the building trades industry, national building and fire codes as well as customer service and computer literacy.
The Building and Zoning Department serves a vital role in the community and wants to provide that service to you in the most expeditious and courteous manner possible.
Current Code Requirements
*with local amendments
Adopted Ordinance and local amendments to the Building Code can be found here - Village Code/Ordinances
For further questions, please contact the Building & Zoning Department at 630-554-2310.
To ensure you are compliant with all Village of Oswego Building and Zoning regulations, please be sure to follow the proper procedures and obtain the required permits when building, remodeling, etc. Project specific information can be found to the right.
- Accessory Structure Permit Application
- Residential Construction Permit Application
- Commercial Construction Permit Application
Important Note: Effective immediately the State of Illinois is requiring enforcement of an existing provision in the State of Illinois Plumbing Licensing Act that requires a letter of intent by the person or company performing plumbing work as part of a building permit application. Read the full notice.
The Code Compliance Division of the Village of Oswego is concerned with four major objectives: public health and safety, education, public service, and community appearance.
The division ensures that all environmental nuisances in residential and commercial neighborhoods are eliminated and that substandard and deteriorated structures become compliant with minimum property maintenance code requirements.
Officers address items such as high weeds, deteriorated houses, unlicensed or inoperable cars, storage of recreational vehicles, yard maintenance, outdoor storage, domestic animals, and illegal signage.
Report code violations using our online form
General Contractor/Subcontractor Registration
All general contractors and subcontractors working within the village must register with the Building and Zoning department.
- General Contractor Registration Form
- General Contractor Registration Checklist
- Subcontractor Registration Form
- Subcontractor Registration Checklist
- State of Illinois Contractor Application
- Checklist for Illinois Contractors
- Sub Contractor's List
The Village of Oswego Zoning Ordinance promotes the public health, safety, morals, comfort and general welfare of the citizens of the village by protecting the character and stability of the village and promoting orderly and beneficial development.
Building and Zoning Manager
Building & Zoning permits can be found on the Forms & Documents.
- Chicken Coop Permit
- Fence Permit
- Deck Permit
- Patio and Service Walk Permit
- Pergola Permit
- Shed Permit
- Driveway & Auxiliary Parking Area Permit
- Sump Pump and Downspout Permit
- Swimming Pools (Permanent)
- Swimming Pools (Temporary)
- Hot Tubs
- Tent Permit
- Lawn Irrigation
Business - New/Relocating
Oswego GIS Maps